QUESTION: How can I create a Software-as-a-Service product on my own, in order to build a sustainable and profitable source of income?
ANSWER: Create a micro SaaS using WordPress as the development framework, leveraging its powerful plugin programming and other open source features.
Eureka! There, that wasn’t too painful. After several websites and tons of false starts writing thousands of words, I think I have finally boiled down the problem I am aiming to solve.
I want to teach, mentor, and coach as many new solo founders as possible on the open source tech out there – especially WordPress in the role of an web application and SaaS building framework.
I want to help you to step out of your comfort zone and into the fun and exciting world of DIY startups and micro SaaS.
Let’s get started!
- Like me, you have dreamed of building your own online business while listening to podcasts, watching YouTube videos, and reading blogs and books. Subjects like:
- Solo founder vs cofounders vs team
- Bootstrap vs VC funding
- Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) vs selling plugins/software
- Web apps vs native apps
- Low code vs no code vs code
- JQuery vs React, Laravel vs CodeIgniter, Ruby on Rails vs Go
- Zapier vs IFTTT
- Open Source vs closed app builders like Bubble.io
- Affiliate income vs digital products vs freelancing vs consulting vs ‘getting a real job’
- 4-hour work weeks vs years of slugging it out in the bootstrapper trenches
- I am assuming that most of you are not independently wealthy and are trying to launch something on a runway financed by your day job income. Just like me, you are a side hustler, and you are/will be doing almost everything yourself. And you really need low/no cost tools and systems right?
- And I bet that many of you are asking yourself “How can I learn enough tech skills (and even coding) to actually create a real micro SaaS?”.
- Some of you are coming here with some previous IT and/or programming skills (maybe even rusty skills or ‘outdated’ languages).
- Many of you are coming in as bloggers, web masters, WordPress designers, or other entrepreneur path.
- How many of you are artists or business people or office workers or college professors or auto mechanics, who are a great ‘side project’ idea and are motivated to learn some new things to make it a reality?
On this site and all my social media channels I will:
- Help you see what is possible by transparently building micro SaaS using WordPress and open source tools.
- Make this fun and exciting at every turn. This is after all, something that I really love doing myself. Don’t you keep doing the things that make you happy?
- Become a mentor and coach to each of you who need that little bit of extra encouragement along the way.
Your first call to action:
You have 3 way to proceed from here. You will not hurt my feelings by taking any of them, though I hope you will start with Step #1:
- Subscribe to my private email list so I can send you the new posts for each episode. This will help you get started and stay on track. Then go to step #2.
- If you want to find out more about me, I suggest you read my About page. To go deeper into the topics, start surfing thru my Podcast and YouTube episodes.
- If this open source and WordPress-centric approach to building sustainable and human-scaled micro SaaS is not to your liking, then I sincerely wish you success and good luck on your journey elsewhere. There are many approaches and ways forward to your goal and I encourage you to start now.
These tech things might seem overwhelming and strange, but you can learn it. You already have unique talents, knowledge, and skills. It might be hard work sometimes, but helping to build the 21st century web can be very rewarding too, both personally and financially. You can do it. I believe in you!Jamie Robe